Project management software aims to simplify various aspects of project management, from intending to acknowledgement testing, including allocating jobs. A device can be utilized to deal with the mechanization of explicit undertakings, the saving of progress, the various renditions or even the checking of creation. It consequently offers 360° permeability over the whole Undertaking, making it conceivable to expect troubles while controlling financial plans.
What Is Project Management Software?
Project management software is a tool accessible locally or in SaaS ( Service as a Software ) that allows you to centralize all the elements relating to a project and monitor its progress. It will therefore identify the different actors and the planning and management of tasks, often presented as a Gantt chart.
- Microsoft Project
- Zoho project
- base camp
- proof hub
HubSpot’s project management software allows you to create and track projects via an easily organized task list with deadlines, managers and various complementary resources. Project templates are also available or can be made in the tool.
- Advantages: ease of handling and monitoring of projects. The tool is integrated with HubSpot’s marketing and CRM software, allowing the centralization of customer data and marketing actions on the same platform.
- Cons: No free version.
- Pricing: Aimed at growing businesses and large corporations, the tool is part of the Marketing Hub software, including the Pro version, which starts at €740/month.
This software, sometimes called MS Project, has long been the gold standard in project management. It is possible to manage small and more ambitious projects on Microsoft Project. Thanks to Power BI visualizations, it offers many functionalities for planning and distribution of tasks and decision support. Available in Saas, it allows remote collaborations.
- Advantages: a complete tool that has benefited from many improvements since its creation in 1984. It adapts to any project management method, both in cascade or via an Agile methodology.
- Cons: No free version. Moreover, it does not manage allocations and can be complex to handle for neophytes.
- Price: from €8.40 / month.
Trello is a must among project management tools. Very easy to use, it is organized like a board on which you can hang virtual post-its. The user can create as many tables as he wishes and generate cards assigned to different collaborators. It can, for example, codify the urgency of a task or attach documents to it. The cards can be divided into several columns with customizable labels, thus facilitating the global vision of the evolution of the missions.
- Advantages: the accessibility of the interface and the concept.
- Disadvantages: Its basic version only meets some of the Project’s needs.
- Pricing: Free for basic features. Paid version from $5/month.
Founded by two Facebook alumni, Asana (SaaS solution) is a credible alternative to Trello. The traditional functionalities of this tool are associated with other, more specialized and essential ones, such as the management of access rights. The user also finds the codes of social networks and can even like a task. Its airy and colourful interface makes it pleasant to use.
To access time tracking via the integration of Asana with applications such as Timely, Everhour or HourStack, structuring by dependency between tasks, access to private status for specific sensitive projects, but also the simplification of processes of approval, it will, however, be necessary to opt for a paying formula.
- Pros: For subscribers, the tool is highly customizable.
- Disadvantages: the many features require a little longer adaptation time.
- Price: free basic version. Paid version from €10.99/month.
Zoho Projects is one of the most versatile project management tools with different levels of functionality depending on the subscription chosen. It is an investment to consider for companies wishing to centralize a certain number of tasks. Among the planning management functionalities, the milestones (key stages) and the reading of the subordination links between the tasks confirm their usefulness.
Zoho Projects is also betting on the “social network” spirit and trend and includes a discussion thread and instant messaging. In addition to graphs and analysis reports, the software allows establishing invoices based on time tracking sheets, thanks to the integration of Zoho invoices.
- Advantages: the versatility of the tool.
- Disadvantages: a less playful interface than Asana or Trello.
- Price: a free 10-day trial version. Then subscriptions are from 5 € / user/month.
Monday.com offers the usual possibilities that are now expected of a project management tool: the assignment and prioritization of tasks, the import of data, including from an account opened on competing for software and setting up a workflow. Depending on the package he chooses, the account administrator can access rights management, time tracking (without billing service), and the creation of a dashboard, allowing him to visualize the Project’s evolution and the allocated budget.
The software integrates with others, from Typeforms to Mailchimp, to HubSpot, to manage the synchronization of contracts and customer contacts. The tool is adapted to all kinds of projects and won over users thanks to its clarity and interface, which is both refined and user-friendly.
- Advantages: simplicity, despite advanced features.
- Disadvantages: the basic paid version could be more extensive than the competition’s offers.
- Price: free version for up to 2 users, then paid offers from €8 / user/month.
At Wrike, the features are varied and relatively numerous, including in the first of the paid versions, which already allows the creation of Gantt charts or the submission of forms, unlike some competitors. Users will also appreciate careful time management, privacy settings, and emphasis on security. A series of extensions allow more advanced integrations, such as analysis or encryption. Wrike does, however, offer a free basic version of its scheduling software for smaller units that only need a simple list of shared tasks. Visually, Wrike stands out from its competitors: blue, rather than bright colors, offers a relaxing result.
- Advantages: the diversity of services offered.
- Disadvantages: the defect of its qualities: and its multiple functionalities make it a little more complex to use.
- Price: free basic version. Paid versions start at $9.80/user/month.
The Basecamp project management software was designed by the developers of the Ruby on rails framework, which is highly esteemed by the IT community. Despite the appearance of other applications, it remains a safe bet. Its central argument remains, year after year, the simplification of communication and exchanges, whether internally or with the client, thanks to the centralization of documents, instant messaging and rights management. The display of the teams makes their composition clear and easily readable.
- Advantages: stability and simplicity.
- Cons: Lack of some advanced features like resource scheduling and time tracking.
- Price: free trial version for 30 days, then a single fee of $99/month for the whole team.
ProjeQtor is part of the project management software available in open source. Collaboration is, therefore, at the heart of the reflection of this free tool, which today adapts to all kinds of work. Users have access to two levels of complete functionalities. The main ones concern the management of resources, and contingencies, thanks to a bug tracker and, of course, planning.
The additional functionalities relate, non-exhaustively, to controlling costs, quality or risks. In terms of ergonomics, ProjeQtor is abundant. As a result, its handling is better suited to Project managers already familiar with project management tools. It should also be noted that it needs to be installed on a computer.
- Pros: As an open-source tool, it is scalable. Users are invited to contribute to enrich it over time.
- Disadvantages: complex, especially for novice project managers.
- Price: Free.
A direct competitor of Basecamp, Freedcamp, is also developed in open source. Even though paid plans are offered, the free version has many features. Password manager and time tracking stand out from the basic options. The number of collaborators is unlimited, and the rights management is detailed. On the other hand, the overview is reserved for paying subscribers, as is integration with Google Drive, the development of Gantt charts, or the use of the CRM tool.
- Advantages: time tracking and role assignment are part of the standard package for all formulas—pricing attractiveness.
- Disadvantages: inability to schedule a recurring task with the free version.
- Pricing: Paid versions start at $1.49/user/month when billed annually.
Teamwork is a project management software offering a global vision while promoting collaboration exchanges. Its schedule makes it possible to establish a duration for each task and also to set limits and reminders with the timer option. Each of these tasks can also be prioritized as needed. Finally, this software is available in French, English, Spanish and German.
- Advantages: a simple and ergonomic interface that will be easily accessible to all users. Ability to configure the automatic sending of invoices.
- Disadvantages: Fewer advanced features than solutions designed for professional and expert users.
- Pricing: free version, then paid versions from $10/user/month in case of annual billing.
Proofhub displays about fifteen main and varied features, from the calendar to time tracking, through form editing, Gantt charts or file sharing. All are included in the company’s two business proposals, thus avoiding compromises. On the other hand, to manage rights with more finesse, customize their workflow or work under a white label, the project manager will have to opt for the most expensive version, which also allows an unlimited number of projects and collaborators.
- Advantages: complete basic functionalities.
- Disadvantages: rights management is reserved for the most expensive version.
- Price: from $45 to $89 / month when billed annually.
The Favro solution is recognized worldwide by developers who follow the Agile method. Its planning tool allows it to manage several tasks in parallel and many stakeholders on the Project. It is possible to attach documents but also to follow the invoicing. Thanks to this advanced functionality, budget management is centralized, allowing you to track expenses to keep control of them.
- Advantages: complete centralization of a project without splitting it into many sub-tasks, thus offering a significant gain in efficiency and time.
- Disadvantages: managing workflows can sometimes be complex for non-advanced users.
- Pricing: 14-day trial version, then paid versions starting at $10.2/month when billed annually.
How To Choose Project Management Software?
There are numerous web-based project board devices. Some, such as Trello or Headquarters, basically focus on the circulation of errands and their preparation and are reasonable for independent laborers or small designs. Others drive the cooperative viewpoint further, similar to open-source arrangements. A third classification, to which Zoho Undertaking has a place, gives more flexible responses and incorporates, for instance, spending plans, the board and invoicing.
The decision on the fitting instrument is founded on the organization’s requirements and its Undertaking. Everything revolves around needs, which will steer the results. It is, consequently, fundamental to decide the nature and extent of the mission, the procedure utilized, and the group dealing with the device to begin restricting the rundown of choices.
Design Vs Need
The end utilization of undertaking the executive’s programming will direct the plan decision required for its utilization. On the off chance it is just planned for inside use, elements, for example, invoicing, won’t be helpful. If the client approaches this apparatus, it will be essential to give various degrees of classification to protect the quietness of the group’s work.
Depending on the Project, different functionalities will be required, and some software offers different ones. This is why it is necessary to clarify expectations to select an adequate solution. At this stage, it is also essential to know if the choice of software relates to a single project or if the company will use it over the long term. Other functionalities are required, and it is necessary to anticipate this need.
For novice project managers, it can augur the future of their relationship with the software. The user must feel confident within his virtual work environment. Simplicity is the keyword.
Performance And Stability
Carefully observing the features offered in the basic version allows you to get a first idea of the possibilities of the software. Tracking time and uploading attachments are essential to mastering a project. The trial period remains an excellent way to verify that the promises displayed are kept under financial terms. In terms of stability, it is wise to look at the creation date as well as the frequency of updates, in particular, the date of the last one. These elements should be probed to estimate their reliability over time and avoid changing too quickly.
Giving specific consideration to the administration of rights is fundamental. The venture chief should be able to choose exhaustively about access, jobs and commitments inside the work area. Some product centers attempt to close the deal around their security conventions, and, as a possible client, this is a road to dig.
Both local and SaaS hosting have their strengths and weaknesses. The former are permanently accessible, even offline, and generally oppose the user’s request with a shorter response time. Finally, storing the data “at home” can represent an advantage. Therefore, Saas solutions are outsourced and have advantages: they can be used from any terminal, are naturally designed to be multi-user and do not use the company’s IT resources.
The originators might have thought twice about the highlights assuming the product is free. There are likewise open sources, cooperative and transformative. In the two cases, distinguish where the free help closes. Thoroughly followed through on programming frequently offers different cost runs and can be charged yearly, lessening the general expense. Once more, the best arrangement is the one that best fits the business circumstance.