Always searching for performance, Apple continues to innovate in terms of technology and brings regular updates to its mobile devices. Following the launch of iOS 16 in September 2022 at WWDC, the company plans for this year, after several months in public beta, the release of Dawn, commonly known as “iOS 17”. Unlike previous versions, what does this new operating system offer us, and what are the available updates provided by it? Find in detail all its new features.
iOS 17: When Will Apple’s Next OS Be Released?
Since the launch of iOS 12 in 2018, the prowess of the American giant Apple has undoubtedly conquered the followers and users of the brand. Its products stand out not only in terms of design but, above all, in terms of performance and power. Every year, the operating system of the iPhone and Mac is subject to certain modifications or, more precisely, updates. This year 2023 announces the arrival of iOS 17 and macOS 14.
These updates are usually presented during the WWDC or Worldwide Developers Conference. This conference is held annually in Cupertino (Apple headquarters) during June and follows the development of the beta version before the official release of the stable version. The launch of iOS 17 will therefore take place at the same time as the iPhone 15, between the end of September and the beginning of October.
iOS 17: What New Features Are Planned?
For 2023, Apple mainly focuses on the virtual and augmented reality of its AR / VR headset and its xrOS operating system. This time, sideloading will be possible on Apple media. Users will be able to install applications without going through the App Store. The Messages app will be subject to a few changes regarding what’s new.
Indeed, it will be equipped with a new home screen, video clips, chat rooms, and other additional options, and it will support chat functions (iMessage) in augmented reality. Another change will take place on the Control Center side. The latter will be redesigned with larger icons, and the interface will be less cluttered. It will also integrate interactive widgets. This feature, widely recognized among Android users, allows fine control of the content in addition to a dynamic display.
iOS 17: What Features Do Users Expect?
If Apple plans to provide the new iOS 17 with the features mentioned above, users, for their part, hope to find other options that can optimize their experience, in particular via:
- Improved return gesture
- Added split-screen feature
- Updating the operating system in the background.
- Improved battery widget for connected devices (verifiable on the Find My app).
- Merging the iTunes app with the Music app.
- Support for Wallet (credentials) and Maps (real-time traffic, etc.) applications and other specific features in certain countries and across more markets.
- The optimized integration of notification interactions into the Apple ecosystem.
iOS 17: Which iPhones Are Compatible With This New Operating System?
It should be remembered that iOS 17 will be released at the same time as the new iPhones in September 2023. Of course, the latter will run on this new operating system. What interests me now is knowing which smartphones are compatible with these new updates. In general, Apple provides long-term software support for all of its products.
However, only devices under 5 years old can benefit from iOS updates. While the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus received the iOS 16 update, they can no longer switch to iOS 17, as they were launched in 2017. Because of this, all iPhones developed before the iPhone 8 series cannot be upgraded to the new iOS 17. By the way, they were also not eligible for iOS 16. So here is the list of smartphones, ranging From newest to oldest, that can get the iOS 17 update:
- The iPhone 14 series: iPhone 14 Plus, iPhone 14 Pro, iPhone 14 ProMax;
- The iPhone 13 series: iPhone 13 Mini, iPhone 13, iPhone 13 Pro, iPhone 13 Pro Max;
- The iPhone 12 series: iPhone 12 Mini, iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12 Pro Max;
- The iPhone 11 series: iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max;
- The iPhone X series: iPhone X, iPhone Xs, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR;
- The SE series (3rd and 2nd generation ).